So here are some pictures of driving in Ireland. I drove while we were in Belfast and Portrush. Once we hit Dublin we hailed the taxi's!
The road above is one of the wider roads we drove on. See the arrow in the middle of the road - I think this indicates you can pass but I never did figure out which side was allowed to pass. Their signage was strange and with hind sight being 20/20 Emily and I wish we had taken more pictures of roundabouts, street signs, narrow roads, random parking etc. I totally understand why we missed these pictures, at the time I was concentrating on driving, Emily was concentrating on keeping me on the right side of the road since it was her credit card paying for damages AND she was the navigator. So in reality, at the time we were too pre-occupied with other things to get the pictures. BUT it would have been a wonderful photo series! Maybe next time(if there is one)!
Street signs, the ones naming the streets are not on street posts they are on the side of whatever building or wall happened to be in the vacinity.
The rock wall on the right side was typical.
Most times the rock wall was shorter and was the only thing between me and the ocean.
The land curb on the left was also typical. It often felt like any minute the car would be absorbed into the side of the road.
Most times the rock wall was shorter and was the only thing between me and the ocean.
The land curb on the left was also typical. It often felt like any minute the car would be absorbed into the side of the road.
As mentioned earlier: parking - people just stopped and pulled over - oh wait the roads are so narrow there are no shoulders - so pulling over didn't happen, they just stopped when they wanted to. Throughout our trip people were just randomly stopped. We would often pass sights I might like to stop and see for a little longer or a little closer but there was no where to pull over, no parking lots... I later learned you don't need any spots you just stop - "They'll see me" is there motto... Guess it makes since. I wondered more than once where does everyone park if there is a funeral? Well, on our way home from a day trip to Galway we found out. They just park randomly everywhere... there are no parking lots so they just park the cars in the street and not just on one side of the street but on both sides. Close your eyes and imagine a narrow 2 lane road, barely wide enough for 2 cars to drive in opposite directions and not touch. The road has no shoulder, now put parked cars on both sides and people all over walking to their cars and standing in clusters visiting... I still am not sure how we got through! I was really glad I wasn't the one driving.
Hope you enjoyed this Ireland post and look forward to another!
3 comments:
so pretty! I don't like to drive in places I am not familiar with - I feel much safer in a taxi! Can't wait to see more of your trip!
You are a brave woman. I won't even drive in California. Nevada, no problems, but once we hit the CA border, it's all Leon.
Wow Crazy! That is my motto too! They'll see me!! Can't wait for more.
Post a Comment